Friday, April 1, 2011

Morley Update 2011 #6

Everyone,

I am still figuring out my schedule and getting back into a routine as we settle in after being gone. I have continued to struggle with sleeplessness and finally have taken melatonin the last few nights and have slept better. Saturday was a happy day for me as I saw many of my refugee friends and was able to catch up with them and give them the little gifts I brought from America. It was a day of big hugs and lots of smiles. It has not been as easy for Kent. Two of the young men he has been closest to have moved on. "H" one of his first Kurdish English students has gone back to Kurdistan. "H" is now a Christian and has asked us to help him find a church in Kurdistan. We hope to connect him with our friends Sam and Fran as soon as they get back to Kurdistan following their trip to the states for Sam's surgery. "H" has called Kent a few times since we have been home but since his English is limited and Kent's Kurdish is non-existent they can't communicate too well over the phone. "S" another young man that Kent spent quite a bit of time talking to has also moved on to another European country. He to is now a Christian and we pray that he will find other Christians wherever he ends up. Kent friend "G" has not been in yet and has no phone so please pray with us that he will come to the ARC soon.

On Sunday we had a joyous reunion with Dr. Joseph as we picked him up and took him to church. After church we went with him to some friend's house for lunch and catching up. As you know things are hard for Dr. Joseph and he is often depressed and sad. Often in the evening the phone will ring and I know it is him because Kent is saying "I know, I'm so sorry. I wish I could do something to help....." Wednesday night the phone rang and it was Dr. Joseph. Kent side of the conversation was "You did? Really! That's great! I'm so glad. What good news". When he got off of the phone he told me that Dr. Joseph had been able to talk to his wife for a long time that night. He has not told her he is a Christian or anything about that for fear she would be very angry and maybe even divorce him. This night however he said to Kent, "I didn't really mean to but I told my wife that I had been learning more about Jesus. I told her about you and Myrna and Scott and Vicki. I said I had been going to church and it was wonderful and I was a different man". He said his wife replied "I'm glad. This is good." This is a BIG relief to him and a weight off his shoulders. Please pray now that his wife will soon be able to join him and experience the joy of knowing Jesus for herself.

Monday we took the motorbike and went for a 3 hour ride up in the mountains and along the coast with our friends Donna and Themis. We came back to their house (a little saddle sore) and noshed on bread and Tsatsiki while we grilled some chicken and made Persian rice and a greek salad. Good friends, Good food, Good Fellowship.

Tuesday was family meal day and once again it was a special time for catching up with refugee friends. Wednesday was prayer day and afterward we had a clothing give away. There were lots of clothes and MANY women and children. The room was in chaos with kids running around, women chattering, babies crying and music playing. In the midst of all this I looked over and Kent was standing to the side rocking a baby to sleep. I pointed this out to Christy and said "In case you ever wondered why I loved Kent, look over there." She looked and said, "Aaah" then she added "and by the way - I've never wondered." She said later the refugee women were talking about Kent and what a good man he was. So many of them are in abusive or loveless relationships and he is a good example to them of what a Christian man is like.

Yesterday we had 8 people for dinner. Rick Knox who is with IT US is visiting and it was good to see him again. There were also three men from France. Thierry is the president of IT France and was here looking into some possibilities for short term teams. With him were Allan and Brad, two other American missionaries to France, Tasha and Christy joined us as well. It is always good to gather with others who have a heart for missions and dream together.

Today I have been happily preparing bedrooms for our sister-in-law Barb and niece Tammy. They will be arriving tomorrow and staying for almost a month. We are very excited and look forward to sharing our work with them and taking them to some of our favorite places in Greece.

Thank you all once again for your faithfulness to the Lord and to us. We could not do this without you and you are never far from our thoughts.

Serving Him Together,
Kent and Myrna Morley
Tripoleos 76
Elliniko 16777
Athens Greece
011 30 210 96 38 625
backhoeboy1@juno.com
http://kent-uniquelymorley.blogspot.com
To Support:
Online go to: www.iteams.org/give
Or Send to:
International Teams
411 W. River Rd.
Elgin IL 60123
Please designate for the ministry of Kent and Myrna Morley and indicate whether this is a one time gift or monthly support. Thanks ;}

No comments:

Post a Comment