Thursday, August 18, 2011

Morley Update 2011 #26

Everyone,

The weeks keep speeding by. I can't believe it is Thursday again already. Last week as you may remember we had a different schedule due to the fact that most of our team was in Switzerland at an IT conference. On Friday Kent met with our new Team Mate, Aziz and a refugee man, "A" that Kent wanted to interview in order to write down his story. They spent a couple of hours at it but have quite a bit to do yet. After they finished Kent took "A" and another friend "S" to the sea. It is a beautiful drive down the coast to a little church that sits out on a point overlooking the sea. There is a beach covered with small rocks of marble in many colors. The water is shallow for quite a ways so it is a good place to take new swimmers. Neither of the men knew how to swim but had a great time splashing around in the cool water on a hot day. That evening Kent brought them back to our house for dinner and Donna and Aziz joined us. We sat and visited in a mix of Farsi and English and the men really enjoyed the food and the time to relax. "S" is a Christian and lives at Doctors of the World, a local charity. "A" is sleeping in the park. He is a journalist whose life is threatened by his anti-Islamic writings. He has not seen his wife or small son in two years.

We took the day off on Saturday. We picked up a former intern "Ants" and his wife at the airport and brought them to our house for lunch before dropping them off at the Sirinidis home. The rest of the day we just relaxed - Kent has been fighting a nasty cough although he doesn't seem to have any other symptoms. Both Brett and Nader have had the same thing so we know it is just a bug. Sunday since our church would be pretty empty due to the Greek holiday we decided to stay home and take another rest day. We went out for a bit and snorkeled at a local beach but the rest of the day we just lounged around and read.. Monday, our day off we played two man aggravation (Kennedy rules- I won 3 out of 5 games) and once again I just lounged around while Kent took his bike up the mountain a ways and went for a short hike. It seemed like we had been running on fumes lately and it was good to have a few days of "doing nothing".

Tuesday I awoke to the unmistakable symptoms of a urinary tract infection. I keep antibiotics on hand so started them and went in to work. I was in charge of the kids room that day and felt I needed to be there. I was pretty miserable but luckily during the month of Ramadan we are having our gospel presentation first and then the meal so we did the kids room at the beginning of the day instead of the end. Once I finished there I headed home since I knew Kent would be there late due to a meeting after the outreach. Since it is a holiday week I waited an hour for the bus and was exhausted by the time I got home. I laid around and took a nap. The next day was team meeting day and then a team fellowship in the evening at our house. I woke up feeling a bit better but knew I would have a limited amount of energy that day so I opted to stay home and get ready for the team fellowship so I could rest a bit in the afternoon again. As usual there were close to 30 of us for dinner and we had a good time worshiping together and then dividing into groups of three to share and pray for each other. These fellowship times are very sweet and we are so thankful for the wonderful group of people with whom we serve.

I don't have a lot of other news and as I read over this the words "nap" and "lounge" seem rather prominent but I guess that's okay. The weather has continued to be fairly hot - in the high 80s to mid 90s but the last couple of days it has been very windy. I can't keep my side window open or it creates such a cross breeze that it blows the papers off the desk and the flowers off the top of my entertainment center. I hope this update finds you and yours well. We love you all.

Serving Him Together,
Kent and Myrna Morley
Tripoleos 76
Elliniko 16777
Athens Greece
011 30 210 96 38 625
backhoeboy1@juno.com
http://kent-uniquelymorley.blogspot.com
To Support:
Online go to: www.iteams.org/give
Or Send to:
International Teams
411 W. River Rd.
Elgin IL 60123
Please designate for the ministry of Kent and Myrna Morley and indicate whether this is a one time gift or monthly support. Thanks ;}

No comments:

Post a Comment