Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Morley Update 2011 #39

Everyone,

How are you? I'm fine. Ti kanie? Kala. Khoubee? Khoubam. Como estas? Bien. In every language a typical greeting is "how are you?" and the accepted answer is "I'm fine." But what if you are NOT fine? Is the person REALLY asking or are they just being polite? I often act as greeter when I am at the ARC. This means standing at the door and saying "Salam" to people as they come in. Often, especially if I know the person I add Khoubee? (You okay?) to which they answer Khoubam (I'm okay). Now granted my Farsi is very limited so even if they wanted to tell me more I would have a hard time understanding. But do I really WANT to know? Do I WANT to know they they slept in the park on the cold concrete last night? Do I WANT to know that their husband came home high and beat them because they did not have food to fix for him? Do I WANT to know that they are thinking about their family who are in danger every day and they have no way to help them? Do I WANT to know........or would I rather they just said "fine" and went on their way. I know it easier. I know that sometime I think my heart cannot hold another sad story. I know that most likely I can't help them so I would rather not ask. But I also know that feeling someone cares, someone listens, someone shares your pain can make it easier to bear even if nothing changes. So I ask, I cry, I hug and I pray. Is there anyone in your life who just needs someone to ask "how are you?" and really WANT to know?

I've been thinking about this because it has been a tough week for me and for Kent. My arthritis is the worst it has been in a very long time. I often wake up at night in such pain that I can barely get out of bed to take some pain medication. In the mornings my knees hurt, my neck hurts, my wrist hurts and on and on. I can function better during the day but feel very discouraged and frankly find myself complaining to my husband a LOT. I went to a team meeting yesterday and people would say "how are you". At first I responded with my usual "I'm good" because that's what you answer but I realized I was not telling the truth. When you have a chronic problem it is hard to know what to do. You know that saying "I'm fine" makes people more comfortable and you also know that everyone does not want to hear about your troubles every time you meet. Sometimes I think I just need to have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy but if we never share our pain with others then how can they pray? How can they know that maybe we could understand THEIR pain because we've experienced it ourselves? How can we truly share in each others lives if we only stay at the surface "I'm fine" stage? SO I'm asking for prayer. Please pray that when I see the doctors again next week that the rheumatologist will have some ideas. Pray that the pain will lessen and that I can handle it better. Pray for Kent - it is not easy to live with someone who hurts. Is there pain in your life that would be easier to bear if there were someone to share it? Don't let pride or shame or a "nobody need to hear my troubles" attitude keep you from finding that person who will listen and care and especially pray for you. Thank you for being that person for us.

I realize this is not your typical cheery Christmas letter so let me add a couple of quick snapshots from the Christmas parties last week. A team mate was talking to a newer family who are living in the park and they were saying that they didn't have even basic hygiene items. My friend smiled and told them to wait until the evening was over and she would talk to them then. When the gifts were handed out the women received shampoo, soap and lotion along with their scarf, gloves and new testament. The men received a hat, gloves and new testament as well as a razor and shaving cream. This family was so delighted and grateful.

Something we did different this year for our Christmas meal is to have a refugee friend cook the rice. Afghans and Iranians are rice connoisseurs, The know good rice from bad rice. They have a special way of cooking it which is quite a process but makes each grain fluffy, tender and flavorful. When one woman tasted her food, she said with tears in her eyes "I am so happy, I have not had Afghan rice since I came to Greece six months ago. Thank you." Another women told a friend goodbye and said, "I am full now, but tomorrow I will be hungry again. I have new clothes, but they will wear out. However, I will remember your kindness forever."

Thank you so much for showing the love of Christ to these dear people and for lightening their burden just a little. We love you all.

Serving Him Together,
Kent and Myrna Morley
Tripoleos 76
Elliniko 16777
Athens Greece
011 30 210 96 38 625
backhoeboy1@juno.com
http://kent-uniquelymorley.blogspot.com
To join our Support Team:
Online go to: https://www.iteams.org/us/give
Or Send to:
International Teams
411 W. River Rd.
Elgin IL 60123
Please designate for the ministry of Kent and Myrna Morley and indicate whether this is a one time gift or monthly support. Thanks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment