Friday, April 27, 2012

Morley Update 2012 #15

Everyone,
Once again this is a little late. I had a bit of a set back with my health. In their quest to get my blood thin enough so I don't have clots, my doctors managed to get my blood TOO thin. When I called my neurologist to give her the reading yesterday which was 6.2 she said I needed to go to the hospital and be admitted in order to give me IV drugs to bring that number down. I went in and none of the doctors I normally have were there. There was a pathologist who spoke ONLY Greek and was questioning everything - why was I on blood thinner in the first place - my heart rhythm was fine, why was I taking meclizine, looking at my other drugs and rolling his eyes while arguing with the nurse in Greek. Then another woman doctor came in who spoke only a LITTLE English and she started arguing with the other doctor in Greek. Finally she said in English. You do not need to stay in the hospital we will just check your blood tomorrow and keep checking it until we get it where it needs to be. I told her MY doctor said I needed to be hospitalized. She said Do you WANT to be in the hospital. I said No but my doctor said I needed to have IV drugs to bring down my blood level. She said No, you should not take these drugs. Then she argued in Greek with the other doctor for a while. I told her I wanted to know from MY doctor that I didn't need to be in the hospital. So she rolled her eyes and called my doctor and talked with her in Greek. Then she said Your doctor is a little anxious for you but I still don't think you need to be in the hospital but if you want to stay you can. I asked if they were going to do anything for me while I was in the hospital and she said No. She said You can either lay in our bed or go home and lay in your bed it is up to you. You will need to have a blood test in the morning. I said Okay I would go home. When I got home I called my Neurologist and she said she was in agreement after talking to the other doctor that I should just keep getting my blood checked and could be home but needed to be careful and rest. SO I go in this morning for another blood test and we go from there.

Ministry News: On Thursday we had a special day. We invited 11 families (about 40 refugees -mothers, fathers and children) to a sort of health fair we set up. A local pediatrician, a local pediatric dentist and a local gynecologist volunteered their time. A church in our area has a great facility that they allowed us to use free of charge, They provided a bus to take the refugees to and from the facility and also provided a lunch. One of the doctors gave a talk on nutrition which was translated into Farsi. This also gave us an opportunity to open up the Scriptures and see why God cares about how we treat our bodies. Each child was seen by the pediatrician and the dentist who each had their own translator. The gynecologist took the women three at a time and talked with them about women's issues and pregnancy care also with a translator. There were several stations around the room where you could learn about brushing and flossing correctly, how to choose healthy foods etc. Each family received a packet with some healthy foods. Of course there was also time to make use of the playground and there were even games for the adults. Here is what one of my team mates wrote in summing up the day:

“R” came up to me and gave me a really big hug. She said she hasn’t really laughed or been really happy in over a year, but today she was. She told me she laughed so hard today she cried, and it felt good to have happy tears.


This family has been regularly attending a local church with Farsi translation and seem very interested - please pray for them.

Kent has been very busy with the regular work schedule and meetings with leadership and other team mates as we move toward the transition in leadership. We also received news that our children's leader will be moving on in June so please pray for a smooth transition there and people to pick up the slack. I imagine at some point I will be involved but cannot make any commitments for the near future. We are also welcoming our first short term team for the year on Monday and will have quite a few other people coming and going over the next few months. Please pray for me as I facilitate this and find housing, deal with budgets, do orientations, makes schedules and try to keep up with all the details. Thank you all for your prayers and faithful support. We love you.

Serving Him Together,
Kent and Myrna Morley
Tripoleos 76
Elliniko 16777
Athens Greece
011 30 210 96 38 625
backhoeboy1@juno.com
http://kent-uniquelymorley.blogspot.com
To join our Support Team:
Online go to: https://www.iteams.org/us
Or Send to:
International Teams
411 W. River Rd.
Elgin IL 60123
Please designate for the ministry of Kent and Myrna Morley and indicate whether this is a one time gift or monthly support. Thanks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment