Monday, May 10, 2010

Morley Update 2010 #20

Everyone,

1. "I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink"......I was wearing shoes two sizes too small and you gave me yours. On Thursday I was sitting and practicing Greek with my Romanian friend "E". I was pretending to shop and we got to talking about European sizes instead of American sizes. I asked her what size shoe she wore. She held up her foot and said "Saranda duo (42) alla afti einai trianda octo (but these are 38). She then said "my feet hurt and I can only take small steps". I took her into the clothing room to see if we could find something for her. She winced and cried out when she took the shoes off her poor swollen feet. The only thing I could find that would fit her right then was a pair of flip flops. She sighed with relief and thanked me. I went home and got out a pair of perfectly good tennis shoes I had that were extras and put new insoles in them. I sent them with Christy to women's showers the next day to give to "E". On Monday I was coming out of the kitchen when I met "E". She threw her arms around me and kissed me and said "Thank you thank you". She then jumped up and down and said "Eimai pido horevo" (I am jumping dancing). All throughout the day she would come over to me and say "My feet are so happy." It brings tears to my eyes that such a small thing makes such a difference in someone's life.

2. "I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink".... I had no way to keep the food for my children cold and you gave me a refrigerator. Our friend "Z" had to move and her new place had no refrigerator. We found a used but good apartment sized one in the Athens News and Saturday Tasha and Kent and I split the cost to buy it for her. She was so thankful and we were so glad to be able to do it.

3. "I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink... I was sick and you visited me". Kent has been in to see our friend "S" in the hospital several times this week. He is slowly gaining strength. His faith remain strong and he keeps trusting in God even through much adversity. Thank you for praying for him.

4. "I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink".... I was in despair and you took me for coffee. Kent continues to spend time with our friend Dr. "S". Since his wife's application for a visa was denied by the Greek Embassy it has been very difficult for him. He was saying to Kent the other day that he feels so helpless. Then he said something to the effect of: "I used to BE somebody. I was asked to speak at conventions, I was respected and looked up to. Here I am nobody and I have nothing." I think this is one of the hardest things for refugees. They just become one of the faceless mass of refugees and they are at the mercy of a corrupt system. Kent often takes refugee men and spends time with them doing ordinary things that help them to see themselves as individual people again and not just as a refugee. Please continue to pray for Dr. "S" and his family.

5. "I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink".....I moved into a new house and you visited me. Yesterday Tasha, Christy, Kent and I went to our friend "S"s new home. It is a house that was abandoned even with furniture inside. It is old and the paint is peeling and there are areas of garbage everywhere but already they have been hard at work to make it a home. "M" her husband was trimming bushes in the tiny front yard when we arrived and had it all cleaned up by the time we left. He is getting ready to paint the living/sleeping area and there is another small back yard and a roof area to clean up. They share these two rooms plus a kitchen and small bath with a Pakistani man who is only there at night. I am so happy for them. Fixing it up will give "M" something positive to do with his time when he can't find work. They are together as a family instead of sharing with many others. The neighborhood they are in is not a teeming with refugees but a normal Greek neighborhood. "S" cooked some food for us and she found such joy in being able to entertain us in her home. Please pray for this family, that "M" can find work and that they will come to know the Lord. "S" is very close and "M" said to her one day "Hurry up and become a Christian so you can help me".

I realize this letter may be a bit heavy to practical works of service but that is one of the ways in which we show the love of God to these refugees. I know some of you have been wondering about the violence and unrest in Greece and how that is affecting us. This is not something new and is just making more headlines lately. The Greek people as a whole are unhappy about the cuts the government is being forced to make. Whenever there is unrest there is always a group that uses it as an excuse to vandalize and riot. We will continue to have demonstrations and strikes which do affect the ministry when the buses and metros go on strike since we can't get to work. As far as safety it is easy for us to avoid trouble spots but more difficult for our refugee friends who live in some of these areas. Please pray for them and for Greece. It is a country in crisis but often a crisis turns people back to God. As always we are thankful to be here and to be able to give a cup of cold water in His name. Thank you for making that possible.

Serving Him Together,
Kent and Myrna Morley
Tripoleos 76
Elliniko 16777
Athens Greece
011 30 210 96 38 625
backhoeboy1@juno.com
http://kent-uniquelymorley.blogspot.com

To Support:
Online go to: www.iteams.org/give
Or Send to:
International Teams
411 W. River Rd.
Elgin IL 60123
Please designate for the ministry of Kent and Myrna Morley and indicate whether this is a one time gift or monthly support. Thanks ;}

No comments:

Post a Comment