Thursday, December 6, 2012

Morley Update 2012 #43



Everyone -

It's time for an update but we are midway through our Christmas party week and I am feeling more tired than inspired. We have had three parties so far and all have gone well.

Our first party was Monday night but for Kent and I it started at 1:30 when we arrived to set up the puppet stage and tables and then practice the puppet show. At three the whole team arrived to pack Christmas bags - we packed over 500 bags in 2 hours with different things for men, women, teen boys, teen girls, young boys, young girls and babies. It was a family party and by 5:30 the room was filled with Moms, Dads and kids of all ages. As they entered they were directed to a room for a family portrait which they will be given next week. The church that Kent and I attend, Nea Zoi sponsored this first party. They did a great job of providing an abundance of all that we needed and working hard in the kitchen preparing, serving and cleaning up. The program was well received and of course the kids and adults loved their gift bags. Once again I changed into my Elf costume midway through the party and came out to pass out candy, play with the kids and have my picture taken with pretty much everyone there. By the time we finished clean up and got home I was extremely tired and in pain from being on my feet all day. I didn't get much sleep that night and woke up the next morning feeling feverish and tired. I slept until 12 noon when I got up and took my meds for the day. I sat down on the couch and fell asleep until 3:30 when Kent left for the believers party. I got up and went back to bed and slept until 8:30pm when I got up for an hour or so and then went back to bed and slept through the night. I felt much better yesterday, so either overdid or had some kind of a bug - there are several being passed around the team.

Tuesday night while I stayed home Kent went to the believer's party. This is a group of 25-30 refugees who are believers, many who came to faith here in Athens through Helping Hands. It was a night of sharing testimonies, singing and praying together. For some of the people it was their first time to partake in communion. What a sweet time of sharing together.

Last night was our Men's party. This is mostly men who are here without their families but there are a few who have young boys or teens and there are some teens who are here on their own. I hadn't planned to do the puppet show, not wanting the men to feel it was too young for them but "V" our translator said "No, DO it the men will LOVE it!" One of my puppeteers was sick and not there so I hastily drafted Christy and we went over the script. I am so glad we did. As we talked about how Mary and Joseph felt going on such a long tiring journey only to find there was no place for them when they arrived, many men nodded their heads in understanding. When we told how Mary and Joseph had to take Jesus and flee to another country for safety because of the evil king, I saw a few eyes fill with tears. These men understand the Christmas story in a way you and I will never know and I pray that it gives them hope.

Pray for us as we have two more family parties this week. Pray for Kent as he is starting to get a sore throat today and there is a nasty sore throat/ flu going around. He is giving the message so needs to hold out for a couple more days. Pray for the refugees who come to the parties - that they will see beyond the gifts we give them to the true gift of Jesus. Pray for the churches that are giving so generously to sponsor the parties at a time when all Greeks are struggling financially. Pray that our whole team stays strong and healthy through the parties and for the following two weeks as we return to our regular schedule. We will have quite a few team members gone on furlough so will be a big short handed - we are so thankful for our local volunteers at time like this. Thank you for your part in making all this possible. We love you all. Sorry I didn't include any pictures Kent and I were both too busy to take any so I will have to wait until our official photographer makes them available - I will try to include some next week.

Serving Him Together,
Kent and Myrna Morley
Tripoleos 76
Elliniko 16777
Athens Greece
011 30 210 96 38 625
backhoeboy1@gmail.com
http://kent-uniquelymorley.blogspot.com
To join our Support Team:
Online go to: www.iteams.org/us
Or Send to:
International Teams
411 W. River Rd.
Elgin IL 60123
Please designate for the ministry of Kent and Myrna Morley and indicate whether this is a one time gift or monthly support. Thanks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment