Thursday, April 4, 2013

Morley Update 2013 #14



Everyone -

I was sad because I felt like I was missing Easter this year. When I knew that we would be coming to the US in mid April, I thought how fun it would be to have Easter with my family. To go to an American Easter service and to make Easter baskets and have an Easter Egg hunt with my Grandchildren followed by a big family Easter dinner. But then…… I realized that Western Easter came early this year and was on April 1st when we would still be in Greece.



“Oh well”, I thought, “I LOVE Orthodox Easter in Greece – having friends in and walking up to the church to attend the midnight service, the fireworks and church bells going off at midnight, walking home with my candle, hearing everyone exclaim Christos Anesti – Alithos Anesti” (Christ is risen – Truly He has risen). But then…… I realized that Eastern Easter is very late this year and will not be until May 5th when we will already be in the states.



I felt like the Grinch had somehow stolen my Easter. I thought of the disciples so long ago and how they must have felt. It seemed that Satan had stolen their Easter. I’m sure like the Grinch Satan was rejoicing in the sad faces and tears of the followers of Jesus. But then…… on Sunday the women made their way through the early morning light to visit the tomb.



I picture Satan on that Sunday morning long ago, like the Grinch wanting to hear the sorrowful sounds of mourning from those who loved Jesus. As he stood listening he heard the sounds of weeping and his heart soared. But then……he realized that these were tears of joy not sorrow and that the one he thought he had defeated by death was alive!



I picture Satan on THIS Sunday morning, reveling in my sadness because I was missing my Easter. But then….after being up most of the night with leg cramps and having set our clock ahead one hour, I dragged myself out of bed at 5:30am to make my way up to the cobblestone path that winds through the Olive trees to the top of Philopappou Hill. I was tired, I had a headache and I’m sure Satan thought he had won.



But then……



“So he paused, and Satan put a hand to his ear.

And he did hear a sound rising out of the crowd,

it started out small,

then it shouted aloud!

But the sound wasn’t sad!

Why, this sound sounded glad!

For the Christians in Athens, the tall and the small

Were singing! Without any chocolate at all!

He HADN’T stopped Easter from coming! IT CAME!

Somehow or other, it came just the same!

It came without baskets, it came without tags,

It came without bunnies or candy or eggs!

And he puzzled and puzzled, till his puzzler was sore.

Then Satan thought of something he hadn’t before!
“Maybe Easter,” he thought, “doesn’t come from a store.

Maybe Easter… perhaps…. means a little bit more.”



As the sun rose over the Acropolis, and I heard the songs and prayers in many languages I realized I hadn’t missed Easter after all. It came – Christos Anesti – Alithos Anesti!



My prayer is that no matter what you are going through, you have experienced the resurrection this year. I pray that you can say joyfully with us together – Christ is risen, He is risen indeed!

Serving Him Together,
Kent and Myrna Morley
Tripoleos 76
Elliniko 16777
Athens Greece
011 30 210 96 38 625
backhoeboy1@gmail.com
http://kent-uniquelymorley.blogspot.com
To join our Support Team:
Online go to: www.iteams.org select: US, Select: What do you want to do, Select: Give
Or Send to:
International Teams
411 W. River Rd.
Elgin IL 60123
Please designate for the ministry of Kent and Myrna Morley and indicate whether this is a one time gift or monthly support. Thanks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment